Gatherings can make it especially hard to treat yourself in healthy ways. If you take a little time to plan ahead, you’ll avoid being stuck in a tempting situation that you are not prepared to handle.
Going to a gathering
- Take a no-added-sugar treat to share. You’ll have something to enjoy that doesn’t blow your eating plan.
- Select a few of your favorite foods–fewer food items on your plate means you’ll eat less.
- Nourish throughout the day. Rather than skipping meals with the thought of saving up calories, keep to your typical eating schedule. Six small protein-rich meals will help you thrive during the holidays.
- Hydrate and balance if you are consuming alcohol–alternate with a glass of water to make sure you don’t overdo.
- Bring your own favorite low-calorie drink—maybe even enough to share.
- Sometimes just a bite is all you really need. Keep it to just a bite by snitching from someone else or take a bite and put your napkin over the rest.
- Focus on the people, not food. It’s nice to just sit back and watch the positive interactions as they take place.