You’ve worked hard to eat better, move more and put new coping skills in place. Here come the holidays—the hardest time of the year for most to stick to healthy habits. Rather than overindulge with abandon, look for ways to experience the joy of the season in a new and improved way. Treat yourself to healthy indulgences and you can enjoy all the season has to offer and feel great.
Food has become the focal point of many holiday traditions, but it doesn’t need to stay that way. Expand your focus beyond food and you’ll be a positive influence on those around you. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Indulgences are part of the season–treat all of your senses, not just your taste buds. Flood your life with music that uplifts and soothes. Create a peaceful retreat spot in your home complete with soft lighting, instrumental music and pleasant fragrances. Take a bubble bath. Snuggle up with a soft throw. Indulge in a massage, manicure, pedicure or new hairstyle.
- Start or participate in a Secret Santa program. You’ll have fun searching for small gifts to delight another and in the thrill of delivering the gifts without getting caught. This works well in many workplaces or neighborhoods.
- Be inspired through reading. If you’re short on time, a collection of one-page stories, devotionals, or quotes may be the answer. Listening to an audio book while driving or exercising is an alternative.
- Make an extra effort to reach out to family and friends, especially those you don’t regularly connect with.
- While you are out shopping, pick up small things for yourself that you wouldn’t normally buy.