Lifestyle Habits to Reduce Heartburn:
- Don’t eat for two to three hours before going to bed.
- Keep portions small ½ -1 cup of food at a time and don’t drink for at least 30 minutes after eating.
- Eat slowly and calmly. Put your fork down between bites.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing.
- Stay away from foods and beverages that trigger your heartburn symptoms. More common foods/beverages include onions, peppermint, chocolate, caffeinated drinks, coffee, citrus fruits or juices, tomatoes, high-fat foods and spicy foods.
- Don’t smoke or be around others who are smoking.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Place a six-inch block under the bed posts to raise the head of your bed. Don’t pile on the pillows–you’ll increase the pressure on your stomach.