- Select low-fat dairy options. Consider Fairlife (white milk only—chocolate version has too much added sugar) or Kroger Carb Smart (white or chocolate) low-fat milk to boost protein.
- Look for lower-fat cheese and cottage cheese options.
- Watch for added sugar in yogurt and pre-made smoothies.
- Greek yogurts are significantly higher in protein than regular yogurt. Consider buying yogurt in bulk containers and portion out for cost savings.
- Cartons of liquid egg substitute or egg whites are lower in fat and calories than whole eggs. They work well for egg in a cup, omelets, scrambled eggs and for cooking or baking.
- Whole eggs are a protein-rich low-cost option and despite previous recommendations, can be a regular component in a healthy eating plan.