- Check the ingredient list and select those items which have whole grain listed first. Whole grains include whole wheat, brown rice, bulgur, buckwheat, oatmeal, whole-grain cornmeal, whole oats, and whole rye.
- Look for whole grain cereals with 2 grams or less added sugar.
- Plain oatmeal is a good hot cereal option. Add sugar-free maple syrup, a flavored protein powder or a non-nutritive sweetener if you like a sweeter taste.
- Low-carb flour tortillas make great wrap sandwiches. Crisp in a non-stick pan and top with pizza sauce and lean toppings or Mexican toppings for a quick meal.
- In general thin-sliced whole grain breads, wraps, pita bread, toasted bread, bagel thins, and crackers are best tolerated after surgery.